Well, here it is: yet another pathway for keeping in contact. Basically, it's just another blog. Except this one is by Maddie Kenney.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tax Return Orzo Salad

Because I actually did my taxes this year, I got my first tax return! The excitement was unbearable; and, of course, I used a bit of it for food. And I made myself a little recipe of my own!

You need:
1 cup Orzo
Garlic (3+ cloves)
Diced tomatoes (About 1/2 a can, or 1 whole tomato)Small Onion
Olive Oil
Pure lemon juice
3 tsp Pimentos (I got mine in a little jar for 99 cents at QFC)
Salt
1 tsp Basil
1 cup Kalamata olives
Parmesan cheese

1- Cook the Orzo in boiling water with 1 tsp Olive Oil
2- While the Orzo cooks, chop 3 cloves garlic and about 1/2 of the onion. Place onion and garlic in a pan with 1 tbsp Olive oil and the diced tomatoes. Simmer until Orzo is al dente.
3- Drain orzo and rinse in cold water, allow to cool.
4- Take simmering tomato mixture off heat and set aside. In a separate container, mix the dressing:
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp pure lemon juice
  • 3 tsp Pimentos
  • 1/4 tsp salt
5- In a large bowl, toss orzo with dressing and tomato mixture. Add in grated Parmesan cheese to your liking-- I added about 3 tbsp. Toss in 1 tsp basil and 1 cup Kalamata olives.

Serves 4 people, 6 as a side dish.

We had this with Caesar salad and grilled asparagus. Delicious. Next time, I want to add in garbanzo or kidney beans for a little extra protein. And, next time, pictures.