Well, here it is: yet another pathway for keeping in contact. Basically, it's just another blog. Except this one is by Maddie Kenney.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Entitlement, and why I still support the Occupy movement.

I'm about to lose my temper. When? Right......now.


(yep, that picture is linked...I suggest you follow it.)

Across the street from my work in downtown Portland's Pearl District, there is a kid's clothing/toy store called "Little Urbanites". The layout of the place is painfully chic-- stark white, with a bunch of well-spaced, pastel items that all sensible, up-and-coming city-babies need: velour changing mats, all-weather binkies, and buffalo suede diapers.
*This may be a slight exaggeration.
Unfortunately, though, my description isn't too far off. This whole ultra-hip-baby thing wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the other  dress-up-your-spawn store...A BLOCK AWAY. The kitsch name for that little gem? "PoshBaby".....Great. I was worried about America's babies being considered anything less than swanky.
I know I won't do any good for anybody by ranting about it (albeit a witty rant), but all I really want to know is this: When in holy hell did this become okay? When did we throw away practicality, economical sense, and equality for a custom-fitted plush car-seat? Of course, this is a miniscule example of the way our society functions as a whole. There are people sleeping in a doorway three blocks away from PoshBaby every night, and people who wish they could afford to get a simple check-up for themselves and their new babies.
I suppose I am just overloaded with exposure to the super-rich down in the Pearl, and it has fueled my existing fire.
Examples:
-I had a woman in the other day who ordered soup and a salad. A few minutes after I served her the meal, she found me and brought back her soup. Without looking at me, she huffed, "This isn't warm, so I don't even want it". So, I brought her a new, hot soup. She refused it.
-Today, I was sweeping the floor near an older man who was sitting down and eating. He looked up at me and said, "Just like at home, huh?" Ah, good ol' fashioned sexism!
-During an Occupy protest, a woman came in to buy a brownie. She said, and I quote with the exact emphasis she used, "I'm buying these and bringing them to the park, to show all those people that I support the BUSINESSES. With my MONEY." Ah, how human of you, ma'am.

And, whaddya know, that brings us to the Occupy movement. I really don't want to say a lot about it, because I do much better with these things while talking in person. However, I do want to say that although the movement may include members that are disorganized, sometimes violent, and sometimes uninformed of real issues/ their causes/ their solutions, it is important to note that the movement also has some very motivated, educated, and passionate members who are at the core of the original intent of Occupation. We all know that the money game is what runs America, and we know it leaves millions of Americans in the dust (that was a literal and figurative dust-reference, thank you Woody Guthrie), and it pushes a very privileged few to the top. I believe the Occupy movement absolutely has the right to continue making a stand and marching/camping in public (yep, public) areas. If you want them to move because crime has risen, that's fine. If you want them to move because they are making the entrance to Macy's look dirty, get over it. Somebody has to pop your bubble.

Well, I think I have ranted a fair amount today. I am not asking for a fight, and I really don't want to hear the whole "working hard for your money" argument...it is a tired and hypocritical one. However, I would like to post some videos that are interesting and may spark your interest in some related topics...

First, this video set about the health care system in America--
http://www.everynone.com/minisites/healthinsurance.html
Four different viewpoints, and four good arguments.

For anyone who hasn't seen the videos of Occupy protestors in UC Davis--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

An AMAZING article on the crack-down on Occupiers, and the appalling ways that the government has manipulated the real stories in main-stream media.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/25/shocking-truth-about-crackdown-occupy?fb=optOut

Images from protests of police brutality-
http://www.alternet.org/story/153134/caught_on_camera:_10_shockingly_violent_police_assaults_on_occupy_protesters/?page=entire

I think this movement is very controversial for many reasons, most of which have something to do with the fact that there aren't clear-cut demands. (some would argue otherwise, check out the Occupy Wall Street site for more info.) However, I must say that I was saddened because it seemed like my generation had become apathetic in their cushy lives, and wouldn't ever move to change the way society is formed. So, I see it this way: at least somebody is getting out there and saying something. Plus, any reason to upset a PoshBaby customer.....chuckle...